Seagrass is one of these natural materials you can find throughout many parts of the world. Seagrass makes everything from baskets to lamps and even home decor rugs.
The seagrass leaves can grow extremely fast, anywhere from 10 to 15 days. Once the leaves have been cut down, they grow extremely fast. The seagrass plant can grow anywhere from 2 to 5 m a year, depending on the seagrass species.
Table of Contents
- The Fast-Growing Seagrass
- Vietnam’s Seagrass Production
- Eco-friendly Seagrass
- Related Content
Seagrass grows very fast; this is one of the advantages of using seagrass material for your home decor products. Seagrass is harvested off the coastlines of Vietnam. The material is dyed and then woven. Because seagrass grows naturally, it is considered an eco-friendly, sustainable, and biodegradable material.
The Fast-Growing Seagrass
Seagrass is a plant that grows quickly, especially in the right conditions. Some seagrass will start regrowing all its cutdown leaves in 10 to 14 days. The growth rate depends significantly upon the seagrass species, but some seagrass plants will grow 5 meters in the year and others 2 or 3 meters.
Seagrass is named seagrass because of the long leaves it produces. It is similar to the grass you have on your lawn where you cut the grass, and then it will grow again quickly.
It is the cut leaves that are used to make the seagrass products. As they grow so fast, the leaves can be cut down, and within a short period, the seagrass leaves will grow again.
Because the seagrass leave grows so fast, many people consider it to be an eco-friendly product. Once the leaves are cut down, they will grow back quickly.
Seagrass can be found in shallow salty waters near the shore. Types of seagrass are found worldwide, from the tropical seas to even the North Pole.
Vietnam’s Seagrass Production
Vietnam is a significant seagrass handicraft producer. One of the reasons is the readily available seagrass materials.
Seagrass grows naturally off of the Southeast Asian coastlines. One of the reasons is that the Vietnamese Coast has a lot of natural salt. Salt or salty water is one of the things which helps seagrass to be able to grow.
Seagrass is grown mainly in Northern Vietnam in Thanh Hoa province outside Hanoi, Vietnam. You will find a lot of small households doing seagrass weaving or production there or in the area.
The seagrass in this area must be cut, dried, and then processed so the weavers can use the materials to make the needed products. The seagrass farmers are so concerned by their plants that the plants do not get destroyed; seagrass leaves are usually carefully cut by hand.
The seagrass material can be manufactured in several ways: coiled, split, braided, twisted, flat, or pressed seagrass. You can learn more by reading our blog about the 5 Types of Seagrass Weaving Styles You Need to Know by clicking this link.
Seagrass is a natural plant, and it is considered to be eco-friendly. Seagrass is a great green option as it is sustainable and biodegradable.
Seagrass has a lot of excellent properties. This is one of the reasons it continues to be an essential eco-friendly choice of material for home decor and home furnishing production.
Here are some aspects to remember about the eco-friendly seagrass material:
- Extremely Durable – Seagrass is a very durable material. Do not let the word grass fool you, as seagrass is known to be extremely tough and durable. This is one reason it is used on rugs and recommended for high-traffic areas of rugs, as it is so durable.
- Naturally Allergy Free – If you want to have a natural allergy-free product, seagrass is a great natural product.
- Antibacterial Properties – The seagrass material is known to have natural antibacterial properties.
- Dirt Free – Seagrass has naturally stiff fibers, so dirt cannot stick to its surface. This makes the seagrass material very easy to clean.
- Can Be Dyed – You can dye the seagrass material. As this is a natural material, there can be limits to what colors it can effectively be dyed. We have seen it do well with yellow, red, black, green, and blue colors.
- Can Be Painted – Seagrass can also be painted. Today you can find many baskets woven in seagrass and painted colors like white or another color.
- Does Well In the Sun – If you ever go to a factory producing a lot of seagrass materials, you can see that they will leave those materials out in the sun. Seagrass is not an outdoor item, but if you ever want to air out your seagrass basket or other product, you can put it in the sun.
- Cost-Effective – Seagrass can be a more cost-effective choice than some of the other natural materials.
Seagrass is one of our favorite materials. One of the reasons is that it is so versatile that you can use it for many different things.
We use seagrass to manufacture baskets, lamp bases, lampshades, rugs, trays, and furniture. Seagrass is a beautiful, natural material for various home decor and home furnishing products.
If you are interested in seeing how Mondoro can help you manufacture seagrass products – we would love to talk to you about how we can help you.
Find out more about how Mondoro can help you create, develop, and manufacture excellent home decor and furniture products – don’t hesitate to contact me, Anita. Check out my email by clicking here or become a part of our community and join our newsletter by clicking here.
Listen to our Podcast called Mondoro Company Limited. You can find it on all major podcast platforms. Try out listening to one of our podcasts by clicking here.
Subscribe to our Mondoro Company Limited YouTube Channel filled with great videos and information by clicking here.
5 Types of Seagrass Weaving Styles You Need to Know
There are five basic seagrass weaving materials or styles used to weave all seagrass baskets and other Home Decor products. All of these use the seagrass material, and the design can make with seagrass are split, twisted, or braided to give it a unique look and feel.
You can discover more by reading 5 Types of Seagrass Weaving Styles You Need to Know by clicking here.
Seagrass Baskets Smell, Tips To Clear Out The Odor
Over time the seagrass basket smell will almost disappear. If you cannot wait a few weeks for the smell to disappear, there are some things you can do to help the smell go away. Like most baskets woven by natural materials, seagrass baskets do well if you put them in the sun to air them out.
You can discover more by reading Seagrass Baskets Smell, Tips To Clear Out The Odor by clicking here.
- What Is The Difference Between Lacquer And Varnish? – November 15, 2023
- What Is The Origin Of Underwater Basket Weaving? – November 14, 2023
- Lacquer Vs. Polyurethane: Understanding The Finish – November 13, 2023