Seagrass is a natural material, and sometimes with some natural material, it can have a smell, especially when the baskets are new.
Over time the seagrass basket smell will almost disappear. If you cannot wait a few weeks for the smell to disappear, there are some things you can do to help the smell go away. Like most baskets woven by natural materials, seagrass baskets do well if you put them in the sun to air them out.
With some “tender loving care, “our seagrass baskets should last for many years.
Table of Contents
- Tips to Get Rid Of The Seagrass Basket Odor
- Tips For Using Your Seagrass Baskets
- Related Content
Tips to Get Rid Of The Seagrass Basket Odor
If you receive a new seagrass basket or anything made out of seagrass, you will notice that there can be a smell when you first unpack the carton, like straw or hay. The reason is that seagrass is made from grass, so it can have a grassy aroma.
There is nothing to worry about when you smell the grassy smell as this is part of the nature of a seagrass basket. Over time, usually within a few weeks, this smell will disappear to the point where you hardly notice it.
If you really can not stand the smell and want to try to clear it up immediately, there are a few things you can do to try to clear up the grassy aroma.
Steps you can take to clear up the grassy seagrass smell:
- Vinegar And Water Solution – One way you can try to get rid of the smell is to spray the baskets with a 1:1 or equal part white vinegar to water solution. Do not drench them but lightly spray them. Then allow them to dry. This should help to clear up the smell.
- Baking Soda – You can also try to put the baskets in a large plastic container with an air-tight container with a box of open baking soda. Leave them in a container for at least 24 hours. Baking soda will work in a similar way when you put it in the refrigerator to get the smell out of your fridge.
- Put In The Sun – Whenever you go to a seagrass basket factory, they will always put the seagrass baskets out in the sun. This helps to air them out. On a sunny day, spray your baskets with vinegar and water solution and then put them outside in the bright sunshine to dry.
Tips For Using Your Seagrass Baskets
Seagrass is a beautiful natural material, but like many natural fibers, they are steps you can take to ensure your seagrass lasts a long time.
Here are some things to help you ensure that your seagrass baskets and other seagrass materials will last. Our suggestions are for all kinds of seagrass, including lamps, rugs, containers, etc.
- Do Not Get Your Seagrass Wet – If your seagrass basket gets wet, then this can cause mold and other issues. If your seagrass basket gets wet for some reason, then put it out in the sun to dry completely. When you go to a seagrass basket factory, it is common to see the baskets in the sun.
- Put In A Dry Location – Your seagrass baskets should not be in a wet or damp location. If they are in a wet or damp location, this will add to the chances that your baskets will become moldy. they must be in a dry area.
- Put In An Area With Ventilation – Ventilation is great for all naturally woven baskets, including seagrass baskets. They should not be in a room that is closed or does not have adequate airflow.
- Use The Baskets – Seagrass baskets, like many other natural woven materials, do best when used. They can easily mold if they are in a closed house and a highly humid location. So you should use your seagrass baskets so they do not mold.
- Air Them Out – it is good to air your baskets out every once in a while. The best way to do this to put them out in the sun on a sunny day. This will help to freshen them up.
- Clean Your Baskets – Like anything else in your house, you should regularly check and clean your seagrass baskets. If you are worried about mold getting on them, you can put the baskets in a sealed bag in your freezer for 48 hours. If there were any mold, that would kill it. We suggest these steps to clean your baskets:
- Use a soft bristle brush or vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment to vacuum clean your baskets.
- If you want, use a spray, then use the vinegar and water solution to spray the baskets to clean them.
- Put your baskets out in the sun.
We love seagrass baskets, but like with most natural products, they require “tender loving care.” Seagrass must be aired out and periodically cleaned – especially if you live in a very humid location.
If you are interested in seeing how Mondoro can help you manufacture seagrass baskets – we would love to talk to you to see how we can help you.
Find out more about how Mondoro can help you create, develop, and manufacture excellent home decor and furniture products – don’t hesitate to contact me, Anita. Check out my email by clicking here or become a part of our community and join our newsletter by clicking here.
Listen to our Podcast called Mondoro Company Limited. You can find it on all major podcast platforms. Try out listening to one of our podcasts by clicking here.
Subscribe to our Mondoro Company Limited YouTube Channel filled with great videos and information by clicking here.
Eco-Friendly Seagrass Materials Used in Home Decor Products
As the name implies, seagrass is precise grass that grows in the sea or in areas that have saltwater. As Vietnam has access to a lot of tropical oceans, seagrass is abundant in Vietnam. A lot of the seagrass used for manufacturing home decor products is farmed to be cut and processed specifically for seagrass weaving. This seagrass is cut, dried, spun, dyed, and then woven into many items, including baskets, lampshades, furniture, and area rugs. But seagrass also has excellent eco-friendly properties, making it a great alternative to plastic.
You can discover more by reading Eco-Friendly Seagrass Materials Used in Home Decor Products by clicking here.
How to Clean A Seagrass Rug?
A seagrass rug is a great natural addition to your home.
Here are ways you can clean a seagrass rug:
- Vacuum The Rug Regularly – A seagrass rug must be vacuumed regularly with a suction brush. It is good to do this a few times a week.
- Scrap off Spills – If you spill something on the seagrass rug, try to scrap it off it as much as you can. They also try to vacuum clean off the area,
- Clean Up Liquid With A Paper Towel – Clean up any spilled liquid with a paper towel
- Wash the Area – You can also wash the area of the spillage. Some soap is a liquid dish soap as dawn or baby shampoo in some water to clean up with a towel to wash the area mix. Try to get the rug as dry as possible. You can try to dry the air with a blow dryer to get the area completely dry.