If you are looking to start an online or retail store, one of the most significant issues that most people face is knowing where to buy the home decor items for their online or retail store. We have been producing home decor products for over 20 years; we have experience in knowing where to buy home decor items.
Many retailers and online stores will purchase home decor items from a wholesaler. There can be many advantages, including design, quantities you need to buy, and having a sales rep who may help you find other products.
If you have your design idea and can purchase some stock quantities, consider importing the home decor items. Mondoro has offices in Vietnam and China and would love to talk to you about how we can help you with your importation of home decor products.
Buy From A Wholesalers
Many companies sell only wholesale home decor items; they will design and buy the products and sell them to retailers or e-commerce stores.
Here are some reasons why to buy from a home decor wholesaler:
Home Decor Designs
Most home decor wholesalers will also design their product line. They do not go into an overseas factory and accept what the manufacture has. Still, instead, they will develop and create something new according to the manufacturer’s abilities and the home decor trends.
If you like the home decor design a company offers, it may be hard to find the same product anywhere else. The home decor wholesaler has its proprietary home decor designs.
Even if you find the same manufacturer or supplier of the product, a good supplier will never give you someone else’s exact designs. In other words, if you see a home decor product you want to sell retail, you will need to buy it from the wholesaler who created the design.
Home Decor Wholesalers Keep Stock
Most home decor wholesalers keep stock. Many overseas manufacturers will want specific quantities to manufacture an item, such as 50 to 100 pieces.
The home wholesalers will also handle all the formalities of the importation of the goods. These formalities can sometimes be quite cumbersome.
Most retail or online stores cannot take stock of enormous quantities for one item or one design. The role of the home decor wholesaler is to keep an inventory of the home decor items.
Some home decor wholesalers are willing to give you some financing on the stock you buy from them; others may not.
Many wholesalers will have what is known as an “opening order.” They may tell you that you need to buy 700 USD worth of goods for their opening order or a mixed assortment of all their home decor items.
Home decor wholesalers usually have sales representatives for a specific area that help to sell their products. Many of the home decor reps may represent several non-conflicting lines.
A good sales representative can help to guide you in your home decor buying decisions. For example, if you are looking for furniture, they may have a furniture line they can introduce you to. If you want lamps, they may have another company that has table lamps they can tell you about.
An excellent sales rep can help you navigate your way when you are starting a home decor business. They usually have companies they can recommend to you for specific products.
Where To Find Home Decor Wholesalers?
The most accessible place to find home decor wholesalers is to attend one of the industry trade shows. There are home decor trade shows held throughout the world in a variety of locations.
Some of the major shows that I know and have attended:
- High Point Market – The High Point Market takes place in High Point, North Caroline in October and April each year. This is a major show and is so large you must go there with a plan of who you want to see. Many showrooms are by appointment only or they will want to know about you and your store before you can enter their showroom. You can find out more about the High Point Market here.
- Las Vegas Market– The Las Vegas Market has also become a major market, especially for people who live in the west coast area of the United States. This market takes places in Las Vegas, Neveda and is held in Late Summer (August) and Early Winter (Late Janurary or Early February) each year. You can find out more about the Las Vegas Market here.
- Atlanta Market – The Atlanta Market At America’s Mart is a market in downtown Atlanta, Georgia. The market also has a lot of things as home decor, Christmas decorations, gifts, garments and textiles. If you are looking for a lot of gifts and other items to go with your home decor products this is a great market to attend. You can find out more about the Atlanta Market At America’s Mart here.
- Maison & Objet – The Maison and Objet show is held in Paris, France in September and Janurary each year. It is a great show to go to see all the lastest European trends and fashion. Some US based wholesalers may show there but most of the wholesalers are European. You can find out more about the Maison and Objet Show here.
- Ambiente – Ambiente is a major consumer goods show in Frankfurt. Germany in February each year. The show is filled with suppliers from around the world that are showing table, kitchen, household, gift, jewellery, fashion, home decor and furnishings. It is a major European show. You can find out more about the Ambiente Fair here.
Almost anywhere globally, you can find a home decor trade show where major wholesalers show their products. Most of these same wholesalers are happy to sell to a new eCommerce or home decor retail store.
You can learn more about some of the home decor trade shows by reading An Insider Guide To Where Home Decor Stores Get Merchandise by clicking here.
Buy Products Direct From Overseas
If you can handle larger quantities or have the designs you want to have manufactured, you can also purchase directly from a factory overseas.
Here are a few things to remember if you are going to buy home decor products directly from overseas:
- Quantities – To buy from most suppliers the manufacture will need some production quantities. Most overseas vendors want to sell to you quantities such as 50 or 100 pcs or more. Usually they also want to have a mixed 20′ or 40′ shipping containers.
- Importation – A lot of the prices quoted from an overseas supplier is FOB. The terms FOB means that the overseas supplier will pay for the goods to the port but you will need to pay for the shippng, clearance and local taxes to import the goods. You can learn more by reading What Does Incoterm Mean In Shipping? by clicking here.
- Packaging – Prices in exported goods can really vary with how the goods are packed. If you are going to sell the goods via eCommerce you will probably want to be sure to import the goods with the correct packaging. To find out more about packaging you can read All About The Ply Value In Corrugated Carton Boxes by clicking here.
- Design – Many factories manufacture mainly their own customers designs. This means they maybe limited as to designs they have available to sell to you. So if you are going to buy overseas you may need to also clearly understand what designs you need or want for your collection or to sell.
If you are interested in buying home decor or home furnishing products from Asia (China and Vietnam), we would love to talk to you to see how we can help you.
At Mondoro, we create, develop and manufacture home decor and home furnishing products.
If you are interested in finding out more about how Mondoro can help you create, develop, and manufacture excellent home decor and home furniture products – don’t hesitate to contact me, Anita. Check out my email by clicking here or become a part of our community and join our newsletter by clicking here.
Mondoro gives out a FREE Lookbook to anyone interested. You can receive a copy of our latest Lookbook by clicking here.
What Is The Difference Between Supply Chain Management and Logistics?
Supply chain management is about the collaboration and partnerships to get the goods from raw material to the end consumer; it is about the partnerships and alliances within this process. Logistics is one part of supply chain management; logistics involves moving the goods from one place to another. In some instances, the logistics providers will also store the goods and send them to the end consumer.
You can learn more by reading our blog What Is The Difference Between Supply Chain Management and Logistics? by clicking here.
What Are The Benefits Of Supply Chain Management?
There are many benefits to supply chain management. The benefits of supply chain management include teamwork and collaboration, improved quality control, better efficiency and effectiveness, on-time deliveries, maximization of overhead costs, improved cash flow, risk mitigation, and shipping optimization. All of these areas are greatly helped by proper supply chain management.
You can learn more by reading What Are The Benefits Of Supply Chain Management? by clicking here.