Alabaster continues to be an important material for home decor product development. One reason is that it is such a beautiful natural material.
Alabaster is a medium-hard gypsum or calcite mineral, usually white and translucent, and has a fine uniformed grain. When Alabaster is put up to the light, you can see the small fine natural grain of the stone. As Alabaster is a porous mineral, it can be dyed in various colors.
Alabaster is a material that has been used in decorative arts for centuries. Alabaster decorative objects have been found in ancient Egypt and Italy. Alabaster is an example of a natural material that is still as popular today as it was thousands of years ago.
Table of Contents
- What is Alabaster?
- Is Alabaster Expensive?
- Is Alabaster Rare?
- Using Alabaster in Home Decor Products
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Related Questions
What is Alabaster?
Alabaster is fine-grained gypsum or calcite mineral that is normally snow-white and translucent. Some alabaster may have brown or yellow tones. Alabaster can be artificially dyed or can also be opaque. But most people prefer alabaster for its snow-white or translucent nature.
Many times Alabaster is confused with marble as its appearance can look quite similar to some marbles, but alabaster and marble are not the same materials and are very different.
Here are some characteristics of Alabaster:
- Mineral rock – Alabaster is a mineral rock.
- Medium Hard Stone – Alabaster is not as soft as a stone such as soapstone, but it is considered a medium hard stone. It is not as hard as marble. This is why some people when they are starting to learn to carve stone objects, may start with carving in alabaster.
- Two Kinds of Stones – Most people agree there are two kinds of alabaster. One is called gypsum, and the other is calcite. Both stones look very similar.
- Indoor Use – As Alabaster is a softer stone; it is not suitable for statues or other things that are used outdoors. In other words, alabaster should only be only used indoors.
- Powdered – Sometimes, it is ground into a powder.
- Light Colored – Alabaster is generally a lighter-colored stone. The pure white color is one of the greatest features of alabaster.
- Translucent – Alabaster has a translucent nature. This is why you can put a light behind a thin sheet of alabaster, and the light will shine through. Lampshades are made out of alabaster. Alabaster is also cut into thin sheets and used as small window panes.
- Fine Uniformed Grain – Alabaster has a fine uniform grain. Sometimes you can see some brown clouding or veining in the stone. This is part of the natural beauty of the stone itself.
- Dyed – Alabaster is a porous stone that can be dyed in any color or shade. The dying of alabaster is a technique that has been used for centuries. The Alabaster stone needs to be immersed in a pigment or dye solution and then heated to a specific temperature. That is why you may see alabaster in other colors besides pure white. One popular color to dye Alabaster is a coral color that is also known as alabaster coral.
- Handmade or Machine made – Today, there are two basic kinds of alabaster. One is handmade alabaster and the other is machine-made alabaster.
Is Alabaster Expensive?
To really understand if alabaster is expensive, you need to understand what you are comparing it against. For example, if you are comparing natural Alabaster to a similar look in resin, then yes alabaster is definitely more expensive than resin. It will be much more expensive for the same look as resin-looking alabasters in the same shape and size.
The cost of the Alabaster will also depend upon what alabaster you use. The quality of the alabaster, and if the alabaster is handmade or machine-made, will make a difference to the overall price. Handmade alabaster is more expensive than machine-made alabaster.
If you’re looking for a pure white translucent alabaster that has beautiful natural vein lines, then you will need to use handmade alabaster. Generally speaking, the machine-made alabaster is yellow to butterscotch color with some white. But as technology improves, so does the way man-made alabaster is being made.
Is Alabaster Rare?
Regular white alabaster is not rare. White alabaster is found in many countries worldwide, such as England, Belgium, China, India, Turkey, Cyprus, Italy, Spain, and the United States.
Black alabaster is considered to be the rarest of all alabasters. Black alabaster is an anhydrite form of a gypsum mineral. This black alabaster is found in only three places in the world – the United States, Italy, and China.
Listen To Our Podcast Why Product Development Is Essential Part of Global Trade below or by clicking here.
Using Alabaster in Home Decor Products
Alabaster has long been a popular stone used in home decor products. One of the reasons is the translucent nature of the stone. Since it is a medium-soft translucent stone, it can be carved or used in a host of ways.
Here are some of the more popular ways that alabaster is used:
- Lighting – The translucent nature of alabaster makes it an ideal material to be used in lighting or as a shade. Light will shine through it.
- Lamps – Many times, alabaster is used for table or floor lamps for either the base or part of the base. It is an excellent material to mix with brass.
- Furniture – Alabaster has also been used for furniture production. Sometimes lights are placed inside the furniture so that the beauty of the alabaster can be seen.
- Bathroom accessories – Another great way to use alabaster is with bathroom accessories. The material is naturally waterproof, so it is a great material to use in a wet location like a bathroom.
Alabaster is a wonderful natural material to use for your product development of home decor products and furniture. We love the beautiful whiteness and translucent look of Alabaster. If you’re looking for a high-end material to use for your home decor and home furniture needs, alabaster should be on the top of your list.
Find out more about how Mondoro can help you create, develop, and manufacture excellent home decor and furniture products – don’t hesitate to contact me, Anita. Check out my email by clicking here or become a part of our community and join our newsletter by clicking here.
Mondoro gives out a FREE Lookbook to anyone interested. You can receive a copy of our latest Lookbook by clicking here.
Listen to our Podcast called Global Trade Gal. You can find it on all major podcast platforms. Try out listening to one of our podcasts by clicking here.
Subscribe to our Mondoro Company Limited YouTube Channel with great videos and information by clicking here.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is alabaster?
Alabaster is a type of fine-grained, translucent, and soft stone that is commonly used for carving sculptures and decorative objects.
Is alabaster expensive?
The price of alabaster varies depending on its quality, size, and rarity. Some types of alabaster can be quite expensive, while others are more affordable.
What are the different types of alabaster?
The most common types of alabaster are gypsum alabaster, calcite alabaster, and onyx-marble alabaster. Each type has unique characteristics and can vary in price.
What is the difference between genuine alabaster and imitation alabaster?
Genuine alabaster is a natural stone that is mined from quarries, while imitation alabaster is a synthetic material made from resin and other additives. Genuine alabaster is generally more expensive than imitation alabaster.
How do I know if I have genuine alabaster?
Genuine alabaster has a soft, translucent appearance and is cool to the touch. It can be distinguished from imitation alabaster by its unique grain patterns and natural imperfections.
What is the difference between alabaster and marble?
Alabaster is a softer, more translucent stone than marble and is typically used for smaller sculptures and decorative objects. Marble is a harder, more durable stone that is often used for larger sculptures and architectural features.
Can alabaster be dyed or colored?
Yes, alabaster can be dyed or colored using special pigments or stains. This can be done to enhance the natural beauty of the stone or to create unique color effects.
How is alabaster mined?
Alabaster is typically mined from quarries using hand tools or machinery. The stone is then transported to factories where it is cut and polished into finished products.
What are some common uses for alabaster?
Alabaster is commonly used for carving sculptures, decorative objects, and lighting fixtures. It is also used in architecture, such as for columns and interior wall cladding.
How Does The Firing Temperature Effect Ceramics Production?
If a piece of ceramic is not fired at the correct temperature, it will make a huge difference in the outcome of the final product. It is also essential that the correct kiln is used for the production process. This is because many things must be considered when using a kiln to fire ceramics. Many things can cause the production to fail or crack during the firing process.
You can find out more by reading our blog post, How Does The Firing Temperature Affect Ceramics Production? by clicking here.
What is the Brass and Bronze Material Used In Home Decor Products?
Brass and bronze are copper alloys, brass, and zinc; bronze material is copper and tin. They both look similar but have different properties and uses. When brass or bronze is made into home decor products, they will often be sand cast or use a lost wax or investment mold technique. Each production method has different uses, and prices can affect the overall production.
You can discover more by reading our blog What is the Brass and Bronze Material Used In Home Decor Products? by clicking here.