At Mondoro, we manufacture Mother of Pearl furniture and home decor items. Many want to know how to clean the mother of pearl furniture and home decor items.
You can use several methods to clean your mother of pearl furniture and home decor items. One way is to use a soft cloth and mild soap to wipe down the mother of pearl; this will help remove any dust and clean the surface. The other method uses olive or coconut oil to polish the mother of pearl surface.
Cleaning Mother Of Pearl (Narce) Furniture And Home Decor items
Mother of pearl is a beautiful natural material, but with any natural item, you need to make sure that you take special care when cleaning your mother of pearl product so that it does not get damaged. There are also different kinds of mother of pearl items, and each of them can require a bit of varying care:
How To Cleaning Mother Of Pearl Furniture and Home Decor Items
If you have an item that is 100% covered in mother of pearl or mother and pearl inlaid in wood or lacquer, we suggest that you prepare to clean it by preparing the following:
- Use A Soft Cloth – You must use a soft cloth on Mother of Pearl. Something like an old rag or bath towel, a soft cleaning cloth, or a 100% silk piece of fabric should work. All of these should work for the soft cleaning cloth.
- Mild Soap – Mother of pearl can be cleaned with just water, but if you want to use some soap, it must be mild like the dish soap you use to wash your dishes. Dish soaps such as Joy, Ivory, and Dawn are good choices. Or a mild natural soap such as Mrs. Meyers, ECOS, Seventh Generation, Ecover, Better Life, TriNova, and Dapple will also work well.
To prepare to clean, you can do the following:
- One Cap Full Of Soap In A Bucket Of Water – Put one cap of soap in a bucket of water. It should be at least 10 parts water to soap. The main thing is that you do not want to use much soap but just a tiny amount.
- Soft Damp Cloth – Put the cloth in the water and then wring it out so it is only a damp cloth. You must be sure that the fabric is very damp and not wet. If it is too wet, it can damage the mother of pearl and also the lacquer or wood.
- Rinse With 100% Water And A Soft Damp Cloth – Once you have cleaned it with the soapy mixture, go over it with 100% water and a soft, damp cloth. Again remember that the cloth must be very moist and not wet; this is very important since if too wet, it can damage the mother of pearl or the lacquerware or wood.
Some of the most important things to remember are that both the cloth for the soapy mixture and also the rinsing must be almost dry. You never want to pour or use too much water on the mother of pearl.
If the mother of pearl item you are cleaning is not very dirty but just a bit dusty, you can even skip the step to washing with mild soap and water and wipe them down with a soft clean damp cloth.
Note: Never soak the mother of pearl in water or any liquid; this can damage the Mother of Pearl. Do not rub very hard on the surface; rub and clean it enough to get off the dust or dirt.
Alternative Method To Clean And Polish Mother Of Pearl (Narce)
If you feel like your mother of pearl needs a bit of extra shine, you can try to clean and buff it by using natural oil like olive oil or coconut oil; the oil should help give it a bit of extra shine.
Here are the steps you can take to clean your mother of pearl with olive oil or coconut oil:
- Use A Soft Clean Cloth – You must use a soft cloth. We recommend that you use cloth-like silk. If you do not have silk, you can use another cloth like cotton or fabric.
- Dip Cloth In Olive Oil Or Coconut Oil – Dip the cloth in olive oil or coconut oil.
- Rub The Oil On Surface – Rub the oil all over the surface of the mother of pearl or nacre.
- Polish The Surface – Then use another clean cloth to polish the surface and wipe away all the oil.
- Finish With A Very Damp Cloth – If oil remains on the surface, then repeat with a very damp cloth. This will help to ensure there is no oil left on the surface of the mother of pearl.
Both of these methods should work to clean your mother of pearl. The main thing you want to remember is not to use a very damp cloth or a lot of water. You do not need a lot of water or a wet cloth to properly clean your mother of pearl furniture or home decor items. But instead should use a very damp cloth.
If you are interested in seeing how Mondoro can help you manufacture mother of pearl home decor and home furnishing products – we would love to talk to you to see how we can help you.
Find out more about how Mondoro can help you create, develop, and manufacture excellent home decor and home furniture products – don’t hesitate to contact me, Anita. Check out my email by clicking here or become a part of our community and join our newsletter by clicking here.
Subscribe to our Mondoro Company Limited YouTube Channel filled with great videos and information by clicking here.
Why Is It Called Mother Of Pearl? Pearls and Mother of Pearls
The name mother used in Mother of Pearl is thought to come from a nearly obsolete meaning of mother, which means “scrum, drugs, or leftover fifth.” This would be because the Mother of Pearl comes from the leftover shell of the oyster, clam, or mussel. The scientific name for Mother of Pearl is nacre.
You can discover more by reading Why Is It Called Mother Of Pearl? Pearls and Mother of Pearls by clicking here.
What is the Mother of Pearl Shell Used in Home Decor Products?
Mother of pearl, which is also known by the scientific name of nacre, is a pearl layer on the inner layer of the oyster shell. This pearl layer of the oyster is taken off the outer oyster shell. Then the leftover inner pearl shell is then cut into various small shapes and sizes to be then glued to various home decors products such as mirrors, boxes, trays, and lamp bases.
You can discover more by reading What is the Mother of Pearl Shell Used in Home Decor Products?by clicking here.
How To Identify If Mother Of Pearl Is Real? Spotting What’s Fake
When considering a Mother of Pearl for home decor and home furnishing products, you need to ensure that the mother of pearl you were getting is the highest quality real Mother of Pearl. You can do some basic tests to help you ensure that the Mother of Pearl you are purchasing is a natural material and not the fake versions of mother of pearl.
You can discover more by reading How To Identify If Mother Of Pearl Is Real? Spotting What’s Fake by clicking here.