Many people have wondered why is Mother of Pearl called by its name. What exactly does it mean?
The name mother used in Mother of Pearl is thought to come from a nearly obsolete meaning of mother, which means “scrum, drugs, or leftover fifth.” This would be because the Mother of Pearl comes from the leftover shell of the oyster, clam, or mussel. The scientific name for Mother Of Pearl is nacre.
Table of Contents
- Mother of Pearl
- The Forming of a Pearl
- The World’s Most Expensive Pearl
- Mother of Pearl Products
- How to Use Mother of Pearl in Home Decor Design
- Related Content
Mother of Pearl
The use of the word “mother’ in mother of pearl is believed to come from a nearly obsolete meaning of mother, which at one time meant ‘scrums, dregs, or leftover filth.” The Mother of Pearl uses the part of the previously leftover shell.
In the 1530s, the word mother did not always mean what it means to us today. According to the Etymonline, the word mother once meant:
When you understand this former meaning of the word “mother,” you can understand why the word “mother” was used for the material Mother of Pearl.
The scientific name of the Mother of Pearl is Narce. Narce is an organic and inorganic material that coats the inside of a pearl oyster, fresh pearl mussel, or abalone shell. Narce is considered to be strong and incandescent.
The mother of pearl’s incandescence comes from shell linings covering the inside of the clams, mussels, or oyster shells. All of these shells have a version of the mother of pearl. Only some shells will turn into a pearl used for jewelry.
Mother of Pearl is essentially the same material they gave us, pearls that are used in jewelry. Like pearls, Mother of Pearl is a natural material.
The Forming of a Pearl
The natural pearl, often called the Oriental pearl, forms when an irritant works its way into a particular species of oysters, mussels, or clams. As a defense against the irritant, the mollusk secretes a fluid to coat the irritant layer upon layer. It is these layers that form the lustrous pearl.
The main difference between a priceless pearl and a mother of pearl is that the mother of pearl shell did not have an irritant and so no pearl was formed inside the shell.
The World’s Most Expensive Pearl
The pearl material can be precious. One of the most valuable and expensive pearls in the world is worth 100 million dollars.
A Filipino fisherman off the coast of Palawan Island discovered a 2-foot-long or 26-inch giant clam. Inside this clam was a giant pearl that weighed about 75 pounds.
The fisherman took the pearl home and, for over ten years, hid it under his bed, keeping it as a good luck charm. One day his tiny house burned down, but miraculously, the 75-pound pearl survived. Today this pearl is valued at US$100 million.
Mother of Pearl Products
The mother-of-pearl material used for home decor products is not expensive, like a pearl for jewelry the material gives off the same shine and luster. Mother of pearls is essentially the same or very similar natural material as those found in jewelry.
Mother of pearl is a 100% natural product. The mother of pearl can be used in the following ways:
- Used With Natural Finish – The Mother of Pearl can have a natural pearl finish. This will give the pearl a bit more rough but natural look.
- Cut and Polished – Most mother pearl today is cut and polished into various shapes and then put onto an item for a design. When the Mother of Pearl pieces are placed onto an item, it needs to be placed on a piece by piece; this is a very labor-intensive process.
- Dyed – We can also dye the Mother of Pearl in various colors. This helps to give it a new and exciting look. The major colors we can dye mother of pearl are blue, green, red, and yellow.
How to Use Mother of Pearl in Home Decor Design
There are also a variety of types of products that the mother of pearl material can be used on:
- Home Decor Accessories – Perhaps one of the most popular ways to use Mother of Pearl is home decor accessories. This material does very well on boxes, trays, and other accessories.
- Lamps and Lighting – Another popular way to use a Mother of Pearl is on lamps and lighting. We use mother pearl quite a bit as a material for a lamp base.
- Mirrors and Wall Art – Mother of Pearl is a great material for mirror or wall art. Mother of Pearl can be used together with the lacquer material to give it a new look.
- Furniture – Mother of Pearl can also be used on furniture, especially accent furniture.
If you are interested in developing some Mother of Pearl home furniture or home Decor products, we would love to talk with you.
Find out more about how Mondoro can help you create, develop, and manufacture excellent home decor and furniture products – don’t hesitate to contact me, Anita. Check out my email by clicking here or become a part of our community and join our newsletter by clicking here.
Mondoro gives out a FREE Lookbook to anyone interested. You can receive a copy of our latest Lookbook by clicking here.
Listen to our Podcast called Global Trade Gal. You can find it on all major podcast platforms. Try out listening to one of our podcasts by clicking here.
Subscribe to our Mondoro Company Limited YouTube Channel with great videos and information by clicking here.
How to Manufacture Vietnamese Lacquerware?
Vietnamese lacquer requires many manufacturing steps in the lacquer production process, including making the base, then preparing the lacquer base to be applied, to finally applying the lacquer paint onto the surface. Every piece must be carefully sanded to give it a very smooth surface. Vietnamese lacquerware production requires a lot of skill and knowledge.
To learn more you can read How to Manufacture Vietnamese Lacquerware? An Insider’s Guide to Lacquer by clicking here.
What is Gold Leafing Used in Home Decor Products?
The gold leaf is hammered gold. Some gold leaf manufactured today is actually hammered, copper or gold mixed with other metals and alloys. The gold leaf is manufactured by gold beating. The process of gold beating is to beat or press the gold into fragile sheets of paper.
You can discover more by reading What is Gold Leafing Used in Home Decor Products? by clicking here.