Selling Lamps Online, Understanding Listings and Liability

Lamps and lighting are quite difficult for individuals or small manufacturers to sell to because of the technical expertise and liabilities associated with the product.

UL Electrical Test Of Lamps Explain...
UL Electrical Test Of Lamps Explained (UL Testing Standards Series)

To sell a lamp to most countries, the lamp must be up to that country’s standard. Many places will not even allow a lamp to be imported if the lamp does not have the right electrical components and standards. Lamps should be UL or ETL listed to be sold in the United States for the US market.

Using UL components does not mean that the lamp or lighting you are producing is UL or ETL listed. To be UL or ETL listed, you must pay an annual fee, have period inspections, and show that the lamps you sold have met all the UL or ETL standards and requirements.

Understanding Lamp Listings and Certifications

A floor lamp or table lamp, or any lamp needs a certification in most countries to be sold to consumers. In the United States, a lamp should be UL or ETL listed.

To find out the difference between these two kinds of listings, you can read our blog Is ETL Listed The Same As UL Listed? Understanding the Certifications by clicking here.

At Mondoro, we have UL (Underwriters Laboratories) certification for portable lamps. We export many lamps from Vietnam to the United States, so we understand what it means to be UL listed and have UL certification.

We also understand to sell a lamp into the US market with mitigated liability the lamp should be UL or ETL listed. For other countries to require specific listings or certifications is not uncommon.

Almost every country in the world has some standard for electrical components and parts. For example, a lamp that is UL certified could not be sold in the UK as a British Standard lamp; this is because even if some parts are the same, many parts and components are not.

Many suppliers may think this is not a big deal, but in reality, it is a huge deal for most countries. Many customs will stop a lamp at the border and not allow the lamp into a country if the lamp has the wrong certification or electrical standard and parts.

Only UL Components Is NOT UL Listed

Having all parts and components as UL parts and components is not the same as a lamp being UL or ETL listed. This can get confusing for some people; they think as long as the components and the parts have the UL or other listing, then the lamp should also be considered a UL-listed lamp.

This is not the case because any lamp that is considered Ul or ETL listed needs to go through a testing process. In other words, there are a series of tests that we will conduct on every single lamp we produce that is UL listed. Only when the lamp has passed those UL tests can we certify the lamp as a UL lamp and put a UL sticker on the socket.

A UL inspector must check every electric part or component that we use on a lamp. We need to show our UL inspector that every important UL component we are using was also tested and certified.

To have a lamp be UL listed is not as easy as running down to the hardware store and buying some UL parts and components. Being UL listed is about the entire testing and certification of the lamp.

Periodic UL Inspections and UL Fees

To keep our UL listing up-to-date, we must pay yearly fees plus UL inspection fees. This means that periodically a certified UL inspector will come to our factory and check all the parts and components and test our lamps.

This is part of the entire UL listing process, as the standards and testing are rigorous. That is why having a UL listing can be very costly and difficult for a small manufacturer or supplier to have.

The UL or ETL listing is about safety. A lamp uses electrical components, and if these components are inferior or the lamp is not wired correctly, it can be a safety or fire hazard. This is why most countries will require some standards for electrical products sold to consumers.

It is also why if you try to send a UL lamp to another non-UL-certified country via courier or container ship, there is a good chance the customs and border officials of that country will stop the lamp from entering the country. This, of course, makes it very difficult for small suppliers to sell lamps around the world as there are so many standards, parts, components, and testing variables.

Product Liability Insurance

If you are selling lamps in the United States or any other product, you should get product liability insurance to mitigate your liability. Having product liability insurance to sell to a country like the United States is essential.

Even in our manufacturing, we have to deal with a few crazy complaints or threats of lawsuits; everyone does. These never amounted to anything, but I can attest that there are people out there looking at how they can get money from companies and people by making unjustified and, many times, silly complaints. Many lawyers in the United States only take this kind of liability cases as they are so profitable.

Depending on what country you are located in, if the complaint is serious, the US courts or US lawyers may even come after you via your own laws and legal system.

For your own safety, we recommend that anyone looking to sell lamps or other products into the US or other markets have a product liability insurance policy. If you are an eCommerce store many insurance agents on the internet specialize in selling to small eCommerce stores.

I realize the UL listing and Product Liability insurance can be expensive – especially for a small supplier or manufacturer. But these standards are all set up to help you mitigate your liability when selling a product with electrical components like a lamp.

This is also what makes producing or supplying lamps so difficult – it is a product that requires technical expertise and the correct components, listings, and insurance.

If you are looking to import some UL-listed lamps, we would love to talk to you and see how we can help you.

At Mondoro, we create, develop and manufacture home decor and home furnishing products including UL Listed portable table lamps, floor lamps, and other types of portable lamps.

If you are interested in finding out more about how Mondoro can help you create, develop, and manufacture great home decor and home furniture products -including lamps – don’t hesitate to contact meAnita. Check out my email by clicking here or become a part of our community and join our newsletter by clicking here.

Mondoro gives a FREE Lookbook to anyone interested. You can receive a copy of our latest Lookbook by clicking here.

What Is The Difference Between LED, CFL, and Incandescent Light Bulbs?

Incandescent Light Bulb is the light bulb that most of us call a standard lightbulb or the lightbulb Edison invented. CFL is also known as a Compact Fluorescent lightbulb, and as the name implies, a compact bulb fluorescent light bulb. LED is a light bulb that uses light-emitting diodes.

You can discover more by reading What Is The Difference Between LED, CFL, and Incandescent Light Bulbs? by clicking here.

What is the Standard Light Bulb Base?

The standard light bulb base is E-26.  The E-26 light bulb base must use an E-26 socket; you will find an E-26 socket on many table and floor lamps sold in the United States.  The E-26 socket is also known as the standard socket. Besides the E-26 lamp holder socket, the other significant U.S. lamp holder socket types are E-12, E-19 and E-39.

You can learn more by reading What is the Standard Light Bulb Base? Different E -Socket Types by clicking here.

Anita Hummel

Hi, I am Anita Hummel. I am the President of Mondoro. I am passionate about helping you CREATE, DEVELOP, and MANUFACTURE home decor and home furnishing products. I am also an avid blogger with a love of travel and riding my motorcycle around the streets of Hanoi, Vietnam.

Recent Posts

Manufacturing Lamps,Listing and Liability