There is nothing like being outside in the beautiful summer weather on a very comfortable piece of outdoor furniture. What cushions you use on the piece of furniture will make a difference as to how comfortable they are.
The outdoor fabric should be specified for your outdoor furniture cushions. Sewing an outdoor cushion takes technical skills in both the cutting of the cushion pattern and also the actual sewing. The cushion needs foam, a waterproof cover, and an outdoor fabric cushion cover.
Selecting Your Outdoor Furniture Fabric
In many ways, the quality of your outdoor furniture cushion will be directly related to the quality of the outdoor fabric you choose. To find out more about what fabric to use for your outdoor furniture items you can read our blog on Buying Guide For Outdoor Furniture Fabrics, What You Need To Know by clicking here.
In this blog, we talk about possible outdoor fabric companies we recommend. Discover our top 10 things that you should look for when buying your outdoor fabric and basic maintenance and care for your outdoor fabric.
Steps to Sewing an Outdoor Furniture Cushion
When you are sewing an outdoor furniture cushion there are several steps that must be taken to ensure the cushion is of lasting quality.
Here are the steps that must be taken:
Pattern Making and Cutting For Outdoor Cushions
A proper fit with your outdoor furniture cushion starts with the proper pattern making. Making a pattern from scratch requires some skill. Without the skill, making a cushion pattern is very difficult.
Here are some things that need to be looked at when doing a pattern for your cushions:
- Sizing – The size of each part of the pattern will make a huge difference in the outcome of the finished cushion. The size must be 100% correct or all parts of the cushion will not fit together properly.
- Understanding the Fabric – A good pattern maker also clearly understands the fabric. They know what parts can be cut where on the fabric. If for example, you have stripes on your fabric then it is important that all the stripes match.
- Fabric Usage – A good pattern maker knows how to get the highest yield from the fabric usage, while at the same time manufacturing the highest quality cushion.
Making and cutting the pattern is one of the most difficult steps in making a quality outdoor cushion. That is why one of the most highly skilled workers at any cushion making facility is usually the pattern makers and those who are cutting the fabric. This is because a good fitting cushion should fit very tightly against the foam and not have obvious sags.
Watching our video below you can see how a worker puts a cushion into a cushion cover at a factory. You can see how tight the fitting needs to be on the proper fit cushion.
Sewing the Cushions
There are a few things to remember when sewing outdoor cushions:
- Machinery and Equipment – one of the most important things is that you must have the right machinery and equipment. Upholstery fabric is heavier than other fabrics and so without the correct sewing machine, you will not be able to properly sew the cushion.
- Heavy to sew – Sewing any kind of a cushion can be heavy and even difficult to sew. There is a lot of fabric you must be able to work with on the machine so to really sew a good cushion requires skill.
- Zippers – Putting in a zipper and getting it so that it looks neat is always difficult but for some of the cushions this can be extremely difficult.
Video – Visit the Sewing Room of An Outdoor Factory
In this video we will take you the sewing room of a high quality outdoor furniture manufacture in Vietnam. You can get a glimpse into their pattern making, sewing of the cushions and how the put the outer cushion and foam together.
Anatomy of a Quality Outdoor Cushion
An outdoor seating cushion is similar to an indoor cushion but with a few differences. Here is our basic anatomy of a quality outdoor cushion:
Guide to our Anatomy of an Outdoor Cushion:
- High-density Outdoor Foam Core – The high-density outdoor foam core which is as the name implies the very core of the outdoor cushion. This foam core needs to be strong enough to withstand all kinds of outdoor elements but also be comfortable. Our cushion offers both of these.
- Polyester Fiber Warp – To give added comfort we add a polyester fiber wrap.
- Water Proof Cover – One of the most important elements of any outdoor cushion is that the cushions should have a completely secured and enclosed waterproof cover.
- High-Quality Outdoor Fabric Cushions with a Zipper – High-quality outdoor fabric should be used for your cushion as this will help ensure the entire cushion will last longer. Also, there should be a zipper in the cushion as a zipper will allow the cushion to breathe. A zipper also makes it much easier for you to do the proper maintenance and care for your outdoor cushion.
The cushion is just one element of a quality piece of outdoor furniture. But it is also one of the more important pieces to ensuring that your outdoor piece of furniture is functional, comfortable and stylish.
What is the Outdoor Faux Rattan Furniture Material?
Weaving wicker has a long and varied history yet many people are confused between the definition of rattan and wicker, including what is the material faux rattan. Wicker is a type of weave and rattan is a material used to weave furniture or baskets including faux rattan furniture. With its thriving weaving industry, Vietnam continues to grow its weaving of faux rattan furniture and other faux rattan items. There are several reasons for this including the availability of materials and the factory workers are used to weaving faux rattan furniture.
To find out more about the weaving of faux rattan you can read our blog on Hand-weaving Faux Rattan In Vietnam, What You Need to Know by clicking here.
What is the Seagrass Material Used in Home Decor Products?
Seagrass is exactly as the name implies, a kind of grass that grows in the sea or in areas that have saltwater. As Vietnam has access to a lot of tropical oceans and salt water, seagrass is abundant in Vietnam. A lot of the seagrass used for manufacturing home decor products is farmed and processed specifically for seagrass weaving. The seagrass is cut, dried, spun, dyed and then woven into a lot of different items including baskets, lampshades, furniture, and area rugs. Seagrass has some great eco-friendly properties that make it a great alternative to plastic.
To discover more you can read our blog on Eco-Friendly Seagrass Materials Used in Home Decor Products by clicking here.